Jimmy Russell visits The Century Bar
December 19, 2013
Posted in Uncategorized
The Century Bar wanted to again extend a huge thanks to Jimmy Russell and everyone at Wild Turkey for traveling north a few weeks ago and visiting our little bar. It was an incredible honor and privilege to spend a few hours with Jimmy, all while picking his brain and enjoying some of his delicious bourbon. We wanted to highlight a couple of cool things we learned hanging out with Jimmy:
* The water difference between the Wild Turkey 81 and the WT101 is about a tablespoon.
* Jimmy flips back and forth between his favorite, Russell’s Reserve or Rare Breed.
* Jimmy is a funny gentleman.
* “Forgiven” was an actual mistake, not a marketing ploy. His crew was dumping barrels for bourbon, and then started dumping rye barrels, but never switched the lines to the bottling plant. Hence the name and mixup
* He was pretty upset about it when it happened because they don’t have much rye. Their rye ages 5 years, and 5 years ago, there was no bourbon boom, so they’re having a hard time keeping up with demand. So much so that they are importing rye grains from Germany to produce more.
Thank you to everyone that came out to join us, and please share your favorite moments in the comments below or on our facebook.
And if you didn’t get a chance to see them before, here’s all the photos we took that night.